Today’s post we want to dedicate to one of the most important icons in the history of Haute Couture. It has gone viral the tragic loss of one of the couturiers who has inspired many of us in his long career for the famous fashion house, Chanel. And of course half a century as creative director at Fendi.
“I am a black diamond, in the rough. Black diamonds are unusual, difficult to cut or cut, and therefore not very commercial.”- Karl
On February 19, 2019 happened what we did not expect many in the fashion world, we said goodbye to one of the most influential couturiers of Haute Couture at 85 years old, Karl Lagerfeld. The man who managed to keep the spirit of Gabrielle Chanel in each of his fashion shows, the man who made every closing with incredible bridal designs made those want to wear them on the most special day of their lives.
“Fashion is a language that creates itself in clothing in order to interpret reality” – Karl
Creating 10 collections a year for Chanel and 2 for the Italian house Fendi, he was absent at his last fashion show and came out to greet Karl’s successor and right-hand woman, Virginie Viard.
But how did it all start?
- He started in the fashion world in 1955 with the magnificent designer Pierre Balmain. Around 1963 he began his collaboration as creative director of Chloé and later with Fendi, with which he was at the helm for 50 years, 52 to be exact.
- In 1983 came the fashion boom, the moment when the world was watching who was going to be the successor of one of the most important Haute Couture houses, Chanel.
- After a year in the French house, he launched his own identity and brand Karl Lagerfeld. A brand with a sexy idea and philosophy.
- It replaced the old lines with slimmer cuts and much more striking designs. By the 1990s, more than 40 Chanel boutiques were opened around the world.
- In the 1990s, the company became the No. 1 in the perfume industry, expanding other product categories as we know them today.
- The first muse who was the face of the brand, Ines de la Fressange until our last one, Cara Delevigne, was the elegance and class that married with the modernity and youth that awakened the harmony of the brand. Other celebrity muses such as Kirsten Stewart or Lilly-Rose Depp were also important for the designer.
- The sanctuary of Chanel’s fashion shows will always be the Grand Palais in Paris, where she recreated the best scenarios to show off her incredible pieces.
- And until today we know that the successor will be the confidant and friend of Karl, Virginie Viard. Who maintained a relationship with the Kaiser for about 30 years.
We leave you here the best of his years and that we will always have in our hearts: